Hospitals Scrutinized for NovoSeven Off-label Use

Hospitals across the United States have become the subject of intense scrutiny after using the hemophilia drug NovoSeven almost exclusively for off-label purposes. According to a study published by The Annals of Internal Medicine, hospitals all over the country have been using NovoSeven to prevent bleeding over the course of surgery. As a result, healthcare professionals are placing patients at an unnecessary risk of potentially fatal blood clots.

According to another similar study in the same publication, healthcare providers who administer NovoSeven to patients, for reasons not stated on the medications labeling, may greatly increase their risk of developing a thromboembolism. Also known as deep venous thrombosis, a thromboembolism is a condition in which a blood clot forms in a vein deep inside the body. This condition can not only be very difficult to treat, but it can prove to be fatal as well.

In direct violation of the warnings proposed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which acknowledge the dangers associated with off-label use, hospitals continued to use the drug to prevent bleeding during surgery. Recent studies suggest that hospitals used NovoSeven close to 18,311 times in 2008. In all these cases, NovoSeven was only used to treat hemophilia 3% of the time. The other 97% of the time, doctors used the drug for cardiovascular surgery, trauma surgery and to treat brain hemorrhages; none of which are uses approved by the FDA or tested by Novo Nordisk, which manufactures the drug.

Hospitals have proven time and time again that they have a blatant disregard for prescription labels found on NovoSeven. The prescription information found on the packages black box warning clearly states that serious thrombotic adverse events can occur if the drug is used off-label.

Do I Have a NovoSeven Lawsuit

The trial lawyers at The Senators (Ret.) Firm, LLP have decades of experience navigating through complex legislative and regulatory issues and litigating high stakes cases all over the nation. Our law firm focuses on the representation of plaintiffs in NovoSeven lawsuits. We are currently accepting new cases in all 50 states.

Again, if you or a loved one has been injured by NovoSeven, you should contact our lawyers immediately by clicking the link below or calling toll free 1-(949) 557-5800. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and we can help.