Gynecomastia is a condition in which hormone imbalances result in the enlargement of the male breast. While not a threat to one’s health, this condition may severely interfere with their quality of life in a profound way. The presence of male breasts may lead to deep and troubling psychological issues. While already a fairly common phenomenon, certain outside factors may contribute to the rate in which this condition is developed. Men receiving Propecia treatment are particularly at risk of developing gynecomastia and any corresponding psychological complications that may ensue.
If you or a loved one has suffered from gynecomastia after taking Propecia, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free confidential case evaluation. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and we can help.
Propecia Gynecomastia Lawsuit Overview
Propecia was introduced to the U.S. market in 1997 by the global pharmaceutical powerhouse Merck & Co. Upon conception, Propecia gained approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat male pattern baldness on the vertex and the anterior mid-scalp area. Unfortunately, adverse reports of finasteride side effects have left many people searching for a Propecia lawyer to represent them in court.
Finasteride, the active ingredient contained within Propecia, belongs to a class of medications known as 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. As a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, finasteride treats male pattern hair loss by preventing the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the scalp, which prevents hair growth. DHT is a substance in the body that can shrink hair follicles until they no longer produces visible hair. Accordingly, Propecia promotes steady hair growth on the scalp.
Unfortunately, the introduction of Propecia may correspond with unwanted side effects. It is believed that the prevention of testosterone conversion may have a significant affect on the entire endocrine system. Subsequently, the resulting imbalanced levels of hormones may lead to the development of a condition known as gynecomastia. Men receiving Propecia treatment are particularly at risk of developing gynecomastia and any corresponding psychological complications that may ensue. Due to the lasting side effects presented, men may contact a lawyer at The Senators (Ret.) Firm, LLP for a free case evaluation regarding their potential Propecia gynecomastia lawsuit.
Gynecomastia is characterized by a distinct swelling of the breast tissue in men, caused by an imbalance of the hormones estrogen and testosterone. This condition may affect one or both breasts, often times in an uneven nature. Newborns, boys going through puberty and older men may develop gynecomastia as a result of normal changes in hormone levels, though other causes also exist. However, it is believed that the changes in testosterone, brought on by the use of Propecia, may result in the development of this condition as well. Approximately 60% of males worldwide have some degree of gynecomastia.
Generally, gynecomastia isn’t a serious problem, but it can be tough to cope with. Those diagnosed with this condition may experience psychological complications that coincide with the severe bodily disfigurement and pain. The condition is relatively common in adolescent boys, and 90% of the time symptoms disappear in a matter of months, or, as adolescence wanes, a few years later. However, the remaining 10% are burdened with a social handicap that causes a deep and complex shame, and puts one’s relationship with one’s body at risk.
Gynecomastia can be emotionally devastating. Feelings of shame, embarrassment and humiliation are common in those who experience a significant swelling of the breast area. The daunting presence of male breasts makes it difficult for men of all ages to feel not only masculine, but secure in their own body. Self-hatred and depression often begin to consume every aspect of an individual’s life, creating an insidious web of powerlessness. A man or boy with gynecomastia struggles with anxiety over such simple acts as taking off his shirt at the beach.
Do I Have a Propecia Gynecomastia Lawsuit?
The trial lawyers at The Senators (Ret.) Firm, LLP have decades of experience navigating through complex legislative and regulatory issues and litigating high stakes cases all over the nation. Our law firm focuses on the representation of plaintiffs in Propecia Gynecomastia lawsuits. We are currently accepting new cases in all 50 states.
Again, if you or a loved one has suffered from gynecomastia after taking Propecia, you should contact our lawyers immediately by clicking the link below or calling toll free 1-(949) 557-5800. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and we can help.