Iclusig (ponatinib) is a leukemia chemotherapy drug that is believed to induce serious and sometimes life-threatening side effects. The drug was approved for the market in December of 2012, since which time it has reportedly been the source of a number of adverse side effects, including blood clots and a narrowing of blood vessels. If you or someone you love suffered from the serious side effects of Iclusig, contact The Senators Firm at (949)-209-9820.
What Are The Risks of Taking Iclusig?
As investigated by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), use of Iclusig has been connected to severe and fatal side effects, including:
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Loss of blood flow to the extremities
- Narrowing of blood vessels in the extremities, the brain, and the heart
Urgent surgical procedures have been necessary to restore blood flow in some patients. Other patients have suffered tissue death as a result of the loss of blood flow to their extremities.
New Recommendations from the FDA
By request from the FDA, the manufacturer of Iclussig, Ariad Pharmaceuticals, agreed to suspend its marketing and sales of the drug in October 2013. At this time, the FDA issued a warning to all healthcare professionals and users of Iclusig, advising the following:
- Patients currently taking Iclusig who have shown no response to the drug should immediately cease treatment and discuss alternative treatment options with their physicians.
- Patients currently taking Iclusig who have responded to the drug and whose physicians have suggested that the benefits of the drug outweigh the risks should be treated under a single-patient Investigational New Drug (IND) application. Patients who fit this criteria might also qualify for an expanded access registry program.
- Healthcare professionals should not begin treating any new patients with Iclusig until they have ruled out all other treatment options and / or all other available therapies have failed. Patients who fit this criteria will be considered for treatment under expanded access registry or IND.
Contact A California Iclusig Attorney Today
If you’re looking for skilled legal representation for your Iclusig case, The Senators Firm is here to help. Backed by decades of experience, we are fully prepared to help you file a claim or lawsuit for compensation. Since 2007, we have secured millions of dollars in compensation for the injured plaintiffs we’ve represented, and we are committed to doing the same for you. Benefits of working with The Senators Firm include:
- 24/7 access to our office by calling (949)-209-9820
- Free and confidential consultations
- Millions of dollars recovered for clients